Thank you for your interest in a career at Affirmations
Affirmations is currently hiring for the following position:
Reporting to and in partnership with the Community Resource Manager, the Program Coordinator will assist with the volunteer program design and implementation, carry out foundation and grant contract obligations, implement Affirmations' educational programs and represent Affirmations at the Center and in the community.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with at least two years relevant work experience
- Presentation skills and experience
- Demonstrable success in organizing and managing projects, which are multi-faceted and mission-driven.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Thorough understanding of issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity
- Specialized training in relevant area(s) preferred. Knowledge of transformative organizing practices, youth empowerment, health promotion, adult learning styles, and event production
- Experience in conflict resolution and ability to maintain clear expectations and boundaries.
- Possess leadership skills, effective verbal and written communication skills
- Available to work evenings and weekends
- Proficient in Microsoft office programs
- Competence in working non-judgmentally with diverse populations; strong commitment to diversity and inclusion
- A pro-active self-starter who works well in a team environment
- Coordinate Affirmations’ Volunteer Program: coordinate and conduct volunteer training, develop volunteer schedules and build Affirmations’ volunteer base. This position monitors volunteers’ daily schedules and assignments for programs and services (Welcome & Resource Desk, media center, gallery committee etc.) as well as for special events (Fall Fling, Spring Bash, outreach events etc.).
- Coordinate community outreach efforts: plan, schedule, conduct and evaluate Affirmations’ education programs in various community settings; Plan and coordinate the distribution of Affirmations materials throughout southeastern Michigan to raise awareness of Affirmations’ programs and services and events.
- Coordinate and fulfill Affirmations’ grant obligations as outlined in grant and foundation contracts
- Coordinate community engagement activities: develop, implement and evaluate regular center activities in partnership with programs staff and center partners. Assist with event production at the center.
- Monitor and support Affirmations’ support and discussion groups
- Support other program areas and special events as needed.
- Conduct tours for visitors/members of Affirmations.
- Staff the Welcome and Resource desk as necessary
- Participate in all mandatory trainings that support center operations.
- Attend all program and staff meetings
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by Management
Provide direct supervision support to Affirmation’s volunteers. Responsibilities include being part of the selection and training of new volunteers; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers, staff and external contacts to build and maintain effective teams and community relationships
- Ability to travel as needed to perform job duties.
- Possess high level of integrity, diplomacy and initiative
- Exhibit commitment to professional conduct and ethics
- Ability to lift, carry and transport materials
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- Ability to operate designated equipment
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Program Manager
Classification Status: Full-Time, 40 Hours per week, Non-exempt position
This job profile in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the jobholder. The holder of this position will be required to follow any other instructions or perform other duties as requested by his/her supervisor.
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of job duties. Essential elements may change if and when necessary.It is the policy of Affirmations to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression,
HIV/AIDS status, political affiliation, veteran status, familial status, handicap or disability status, or a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, or other legally protected status in accordance with state or federal law. The policy applies to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits and all other aspects of employment.Statement of Inclusiveness Principles approved by Affirmations’ Multicultural Advisory Committee September 3, 2009 with input from Affirmations’ staff and Board of Directors. At Affirmations, we believe in and incorporate the core principles of Multiculturalism and Inclusion. We embrace multiculturalism because we believe that it affirms, respects, treats equally and is representative of various races, ethnicities, nationalities, and cultural identities. Inclusive organizations not only have diverse individuals involved, but more importantly, they are learning organizations that value the perspectives and contributions of all people. They incorporate the needs, assets and perspectives of communities of color into the design and implementation of universal and inclusive programs.
Our commitment to inclusiveness will be evident in our cultivation of a welcoming atmosphere for all, a diverse and supportive working environment, and in the ever-evolving development of programs, services and policies that are inclusive and relevant to our diverse community. We will engage a broader range of people and organizations. Our staff, board and volunteers will not only reflect the communities served, but their diverse perspectives will be incorporated in decision-making. Inclusive principles will be woven into the fabric of the day-to-day operations, organizational culture and strategic plan.