Support and Discussion Groups
Affirmations’ Support & Discussion Groups are FREE for anyone who’d like to access them virtually or at the Center. The groups are intended to provide guests connection, support, and Community around a particular issue or identity. All groups are considered a safe space so we ask that they are NOT observed by students for studies or similar purposes.
Interested in starting your own group that you don’t see here? Feel free to send us an email to email@example.com to get started.
***All of our Support and Discussion Groups are ages 18 & up. Please check out our youth programs page for information regarding upcoming Youth Support & Discussion groups.
Virtual Group Meetings
- Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- A confidential support group covering all aspects of coming out and the effects it may have in life.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the zoom link and other meeting details
- Wednesdays at 7:30 pm and Saturdays at 5:30 PM.
- For link and password, please email email@example.com.
LGBTQ+ Parent and Caregiver Support
- Every Second Saturday at 1 PM
- ONLY for parents of LGBTQ+ individuals
- For link and password, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (248) 398-7105
LGBTQ+ People Of Color
- 2nd and 4th Mondays at 7:30 PM
- Please email email@example.com call (248)398-7105 for link information.
- Saturdays at 5 PM.
- For link and password, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (248) 398-7105.
NA Regardless of…
- Thursdays at 11:30 AM. For link and password, please call (248) 398-7105 or email email@example.com
SAA – Sex Addicts Anonymous
- Mondays at 7:00 PM.
- Join Zoom Meeting with the link https://zoom.us/j/168085354
or call (312)626-6799 and then press 168085354# (if prompted, press # again) to phone in.
- Saturdays at 10 AM
- For link and password information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transgender Life Support
- Thursdays at 7 PM
- Meeting information and other resources can be found on our meetup page.
Transgender and Non-Binary Discussion
- Tuesdays at 5 PM.
- Join via Zoom by clicking here
- 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 6:45 PM
- Please email email@example.com for Google Meet/Discord information. If you do not hear back within a couple of days, please check your spam folder
In-Person Group Meetings
Brown Baggers AA
- Meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 11:30 am to 1 p.m., and Saturday, 1:30 to 3 p.m.
Bisexual+ Community Support
- Mondays from 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm
- A discussion and support group for members of the bisexual+ community aged 18+, including those who self-identify as bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, queer, polysexual or any person who experiences attraction to more than one gender. All gender identities are welcome!
- The Bisexual+ Community Support group will address current events and issues affecting the Bisexual+ community by creating a space where participants can engage in enjoyable and meaningful discussions, group activities and projects, and social events
CMA – Crystal Clean
- Wednesdays, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- A confidential recovery group for those recovering from the use of Crystal Meth.
Coming Out Together
- Tuesdays, 7 to 9 p.m.
- Confidential support group covering all aspects of coming out and the effects it may have in life.
Disability & Discussion
- Facebook Group: Disability and Discussion
- A space for disabled LGBTQ+ folks to be ourselves unapologetically, without worrying about our personal challenges not being taken seriously. Share out about your week, help to support others in the community, and discuss key disability-related social issues all within an inclusive, intersectional environment.
- Meetings on Mondays in Room 201 from 7-9pm. Zoom link available on Facebook
- Alternate Zoom meetings on Sundays from 2-4 pm will be announced as needed on Facebook
- Meets Tuesdays at 7 PM inside the Café
Grief Support Group
- Meets Mondays from 6-7pm until April 24
- This group welcomes anyone experiencing any type of grief
Harm Reduction Group
- We’ve partnered with Oakland County Health to bring folks a safe space to talk and seek support for substance use or misuse.
- The group is offered every 2nd and 4th Wednesday at 6 PM.
- Attendees do not have to be sober to attend, though sobriety can be one of your substance use goals.
- The group is for anyone 18+, who has an interest in understanding harm reduction, practices harm reduction themselves, or simply wants support and guidance along the way.
- Healthy snacks and water are provided.
Men’s Discussion Group
- Saturdays, 5 to 7 p.m.
- Discussion group for gay, bisexual, and transgender men ages 18 and up. Topics vary from lighthearted subjects to in-depth discussions. Holds holiday parties and outings in addition to regular meetings.
Motor City Bears
- 2nd Saturdays, Meet and Greet at 3 p.m. and General Meeting at 4 p.m.
- A social, fundraising group made up of Bears and admirers. Membership is open to all that consider themselves men* and are attracted to men. * includes biological males as well as male presenting individuals.
- For more information and for the meeting link, please click here.
- Starting September Tuesdays, 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- Meeting of Narcotics Anonymous.
LGBTQ+ People of Color
- Meets the first and third Mondays, 7:30 PM
- Talk about racism, homophobia, and transphobia with other QTPOC! Socialize, vent, and have fun!
- Meets Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.
- Hybrid meeting
- Join in a fun, interactive conversation with peers about current events, community topics, and much more – all decided by the luck of the draw and submissions of participants. Come with conversation topics ready, because yours might just be the topic of the day! All ages are welcome.
Senior Koffee Klatch
- Wednesdays, 1 to 3 p.m. at Affirmations Community Center
- Fridays, 1 to 2:30 p.m. at the Royal Oak Senior Center (3500 Marais Ave, RO, MI 48073)
- A discussion and networking group for people 45 and older. Various discussion topics, social outings, and potlucks are held throughout the year.
- Saturdays at 10 a.m.
- For link and password information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mondays, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Transgender Life Support
- Tuesdays, 7 to 9 p.m.
- An open support group for transgender individuals just coming out and their allies
Transgender and Non-Binary Discussion (Hybrid)
- First and third Saturdays from 2-4 pm (Beginning Saturday, December 10. December will only have one Saturday meeting due to the holiday closures)
- This meeting will also have a virtual option. Join via Zoom by clicking here
- An open support group for transgender and non-binary individuals
Women’s Discussion Group
- Second Thursday of every month, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm AND last Saturday of every month, 10:30 am-12:00 pm
- A safe space and place for WOMEN: lesbian, bi, trans, etc. Socialize, vent and chat, and build community. Topics vary from lighthearted subjects to in-depth discussions: coming out stories/struggles, as well as social norms, friendships/families, the validity of bisexual women, assumptions of sexuality and being a bi/lesbian woman in the workplace – and much more.
- Check out meeting details, events, and activities here!